Historical buildings and places
745 Ridge road, the Elephant house. Built c.1850. Among its owners was Efward Snell after whom the Snell parade was named. In the eighties the house belonged to Alexander Murchie after whom Murchie's passage was named. A Murchie family member sold the house to Brian Agar, who restored it. The house received its name because it survived attacks from local herds of elephant. It was declared a national monument in 1975.