M K Gandhi Library
Named after Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi, The M K Gandhi Library (situated at 140 Queen Street) was officially opened on 10 September 1921 - at a time when the provision of public library services to Indians was sorely neglected. The library was the vision of Parsee Rustomjee, a retailer and merchant from India who settled in South Africa. He set up the Trust in memory of his wife, Shrimati Bai Jerbai. The Bai Jerbai Rustomjee Trust, as it was called, controls the running of the library and the Parsee Rustomjee Hall, which is part of the library.