Campbell Collections

Thumbnail Titlesort descending Description
Historical buildings and places

Smith Street, corner of Masonic Grove. "x" at right hand of picture indicates the tobacconist which still exists. The two bigger buildings in forefront of picture have been demolished. Factory logs for African Plywood Co. Fraser and Chalmers Ltd.

Historical buildings and places

Gardiner Street and Dead Man's Tree, on the corner of Gardiner and West street near the Post office. A portion of the post Office facing Pine street embodied the once popular empire Cinema and narrow street separating the Cinema and the old portion of the Post Office.

Historical buildings and places

Corner of West and Gardiner street. c1930. The traffic officer with his back to the camera standing on a platform was known as "the Prince of Wales" because of the unique similarity.

Historical buildings and places

Hist building. Warrior's gate of the Old Fort. built in 1936.

Historical buildings and places

Technikon Natal.

Historical buildings and places

Telephone exchange, erected 1909.

Historical buildings and places

Old law court building converted into a museum. 1866 main post office and law courts. 1899 right wing added 1891 left wing added. 1962 taken out by provincial authorities and entire building made into public museum.

Historical buildings and places

City swimming bath, it was first under cover. first bath in Durban.

Historical buildings and places

Queens tavern restaurant. Built in 1890. houses the british middle east indian. sporting and dining club 16 Stamford hill road. Durban

Historical buildings and places

Warrior's gate of the Old Fort, built in 1936, corner of Old Fort road and N.M.R Avenue.

Historical buildings and places

Dick King's house, Isiphingo. Presently converted into a clinic with only two of the wall supports from the original home

Historical buildings and places

Bell originally from the old fort moved to the botanic gardens. it used to be wrung every evening at 9pm to make the curfew for blacks.

Historical buildings and places

George Cato's house in Cato Manor. Unappropriated land which became known as Cator Manor, given by the British to Cato in appreciation of his many services in 1845.

Historical buildings and places

A wood and iron cottage, 340 Essenwood road probably built after the boer war.

Historical buildings and places

745 Ridge road, the Elephant house. Built c.1850. Among its owners was Efward Snell after whom the Snell parade was named. In the eighties the house belonged to Alexander Murchie after whom Murchie's passage was named. A Murchie family member sold the house to Brian Agar, who restored it.

Historical buildings and places

28 Kilburn place 1989. Home of the late Vera Amos, who was a veterinary surgeon. The house is situated next to Strathmore lodge 305 Musgrave rd. Shows demolishing of house by property developers and trunk of 300 year old mahogany tree which was chopped down.

Historical buildings and places

170 Wick Street, Verulam. Home of Francis Harvey and family who arrived in Natal in 1850. The house was named Hayle House.

Historical buildings and places

The Natal playhouse, Durban.

Historical buildings and places

Alhambra Theatre, just completed 1953.

Historical buildings and places

Old Durban railway station. after it has been partly demolished. the section left standing has been refurbished.

Pages

11288 records found.